Friday, January 26, 2007

Where is my wild?


ever read a book that makes you think, "am i even alive?" if not, pick up Into the Wild. Phenominal. it is the story of a young man, chris mccandless, 22, that heads off across the country after graduating from a college in georgia. the book chronicles his life as a vagabond for about 2 and a half years, traveling up and down the west coast as a hitchhiker, migrant worker, train hopper and walker. he even rides a canoe down the colorado river for a while. it all ends in alaska as he tries to live out his jack london dream of being an ascetic woodsman and dies in the process (that happens in the first chapter so don't get mad at me for giving it away!) he gave away over 20,000 dollars to Oxfam and lived those two years, for the most part, with just the possessions "he could carry with him at a dead sprint."
when was the last time i had a dream, a vision, like this guy, and went for it so wholeheartedly? when was the last time you set out, not knowing where you would end up, but just certain that you were headed towards the promised land of your dreams? tell us about it.

2 comments:

mainelife said...

Hey Seth-Nice blog.
You've got a bunch of diveres topics here, something for everyone, really.
I haven't read Into the Wild, but I did read this guy's book on Everest and I think that he's a great writer.
Let me know how that other book is going. I've never once considered his central thesis "am I lovely" and I'd like to know what you think about it once you've finished reading the book.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I did read "Into the Wild" like 10 years ago, and vaguely remember it. I don't remember having an inpired vision though, I rember it being depressing cause he died. However, it was so long ago I may have been inspired and forgot my inspiration that I got.
In January I walked out of where I was living in Springfield, with all my belongings in a suit case, and set out for a town 40 miles away roughly, and had no assuarnce I could get there. All I knew is I didn't want to be where I was and I felt there was internal success at this former place of renewal I had been to years ago. A friend picked me up and the next morning dropped me off downtown and gave me $20. And I started a new life in that town.
It didn't work out there after a few weeks, but it was an important move for me. A shot in the dark action to make a change in my life. I now live a few towns away and in an environment that is a healthy garden I can grow in. Jeff